This year Little Warriors will welcome Matthew Sandusky as their keynote speaker. Matthew was 8 years old when his adoptive father—former Penn State football coach, Jerry Sandusky—began sexually abusing him. Since coming forward with his experience and enduring a high profile court case, Matthew has dedicated his life to speaking out against child sexual abuse. He is an inspiration to survivors everywhere.
Little Warriors is a charitable organization with a national focus that educates adults about how to help prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. Little Warriors also provides information about the prevalence and frequency of child sexual abuse and information about healing and support resources. Little Warriors will open the Be Brave Ranch in the fall of 2014. The Be Brave Ranch is a facility that will offer a family-oriented treatment program that combines multiple proven therapies for children ages 8-12 who have been sexually abused.
Little Warriors is a national organization committed to the awareness, prevention and treatment of child sexual abuse.
Little Warriors is committed to:
- Provide awareness and information about child sexual abuse.
- Provide child sexual abuse prevention strategies to adults through education.
- Provide information about healing and support resources.
- Provide a treatment facility to help children cope with the devastating effects of child sexual abuse.
Goals & Objectives
- Relay a fundamental prevention education message, to culturally sensitive communities, that fit the needs of the growing multi-cultural and Aboriginal communities across Canada.
- Enhancement of community impact to provide prevention training and mental health treatment subsidies to high risk and vulnerable individuals within communities.
- Give rise to community resource access. Provide Canadians with local and national child sexual abuse resource information.
- Spread the message of responsibility, action and hope by educating specially selected volunteers to deliver the prevention training across Canada.
- Reduce the stigma on child sexual abuse, and facilitate an increased transfer of skills and knowledge, through the advanced development of a compelling child sexual abuse Canadian prevention program.
- Create road blocks for sexual predators and encourage organizations to incorporate mandatory child sexual abuse prevention policies and procedures.
- Create warrior-like compassion. Turn pain into change. Commit to bring access to a treatment centre for all the children across Canada who have been sexually abused.
- Provide a safe and secure treatment centre for children and youth who have been sexually abused.
- Address versus suppress the core mental health issues stemming from child sexual abuse.Open up the door for children to access a vital mental health treatment service. A centre that currently does not exist in Canada.
- Help to fill the mental health gap of time-delayed traditional child sexual abuse counselling methods and provide effective clinical focused treatment that will be the first of its kind in Canada.
Taken from http://littlewarriors.ca/about/about-little-warriors/